Saturday, March 12, 2011

Handplane Project Pt. 3...

I have found a great joy in shaping this handplane.

As I stated in Pt. 2, I am shaping this piece completely and totally without the use of electricity. That means using hand tools to shave away at the plank until the wood shows us the shape that was hidden away inside.

I have come to the realization that, as I shave away the layers, the wood looks fresh, virgin, and new. It is a great metaphor for the rehabilitative effects that I have enjoyed from the start of this project.
With each layer that is removed, it feels as if I have scraped away a layer of old, crusty sin that has plagued my soul for so long. It feels as if I am exposing my spirit to the glory of God.

It feels good.

 Okay... enough of the metaphysical, spiritual guru stuff and back to the project.

In this phase, I have built the rail and begun to shape in the rocker, bevels, and contours for the bottom. I used various wood carving files, heavy grit sandpaper and a keyhole saw to cut the hand hold.

Next I will dome the deck and work a little more on the rocker before the process of sanding begins.

Stay tuned for the next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment